Blog Archive

Full Circle

Hello!  Thank you for stopping by and a warm welcome to all my new readers, many of whom found me via my friend, Lucy, Attic24. Thank you, Lucy, for the thought provoking post, which followed on from our conversation in Cooper's about blog writing.  It really made me think that maybe waiting until I had something 'big' to write about meant I was missing out on chronicling the everyday minutiae that makes life the wonderful journey that it is.  After all, I won't always have a wedding to write about!!

Having said that, today I want to share with you my visit to my daughter and her partner, who have recently made the move from Oxford to Canary Wharf, London, in readiness for her start in the world of finance.

I am a Londoner originally and despite loving life in the beautiful North West of England, still have a bit of my heart in London.  My children and I have lived in several different countries but they have never actually lived in my home city, up until now.  So, last week, instead of journeying to London to see my late parents, or my sister, I was now going to visit my child.  Life has gone full circle.

I travelled by train, and had a pleasant journey (with plenty of knitting!) ending up at Canary Wharf station, to meet my daughter, who was going to accompany me by foot to their new home.  It was so wonderful to see her and there was much hugging in the middle of the street :)


Their apartment is lovely!  They showed me around and we had a delicious lunch before heading out to Greenwich, a short journey on the Docklands Light Railway, for a walk.  There is so much to see in Greenwich, but today we were there to walk, and we climbed the hill to the look at the Greenwich Meridian, home to Greenwich Mean time, of course!  The view from the top was extra special today as we were now looking across to where DD and her Lovely Partner (LP) live.  (The storm clouds were gathering at this point, but we made it home before the rain!)


Greenwich is home to the Cutty Sark, restored after a devastating fire in 2014, which in turn followed a fire in 2007.  It's a spectacular sight as you come around the corner from the station.  


Greenwich is also home to more of London's parakeets and we spent several minutes watching them feasting on nuts and berries in the trees.  This little chap was camera shy!


The following day DD and I went to the West End to do some shopping, and in the evening spent a happy time on the balcony as the storm had passed and it was a pleasant evening.  I could never tire looking at this view!   The buildings are almost majestic, and certainly awe-inspiring.


The following day, yesterday, the three of us had a leisurely lunch in the West End and in the late afternoon it was time for me to head back to Euston to catch my train home.  

Spending time with my daughter - chatting, laughing, snuggling on the sofa, is precious time indeed, and I treasure every single second.

Donna x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Donna - I popped along to your blog after reading Lucy's post on blogging too :) Already I'm thinking of having a go at knee high socks thanks to you and also considering resurrecting my blog after being inspired by both of you xx Happy blogging! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Larissa! I would love to read your blog so I do hope you resurrect it. I am honoured to have inspired you to have ago at knee high socks too! I have added some notes to my last sockie post, having worn pair number 2 for a few days, and I am going to pull together everything I have made notes on to make pair number 3! DH is still hoping for his next pair, but I'm just knee high focused at the moment, so he may have to wait a little while! Do let me know when your blog is up and running and I'll be along to visit! Kind regards, Donna x

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!