Blog Archive

Freddie



Hello again!  I can't believe you came back!  How lovely you're here again, as I want to tell you about Freddie.

Freddie was my first ever attempt at amigurumi, and was made for my daughter.  I spotted the book Cute Crochet Animals, by the very talented Emma Varnham.  What a fabulous book!!  Full of super cute crochet animals, with a whole wardrobe of clothes that you can swap between the various animals.

The first thing I had to do was learn how to pronounce amigurumi, and much hilarity was had at Cooper's, with Lucy, from Attic24, trying to teach me by sounding out the syllables.  Eventually her patience paid off and I still think of it as 'Am-i-gu-ROOOMI'!

The patterns are so well written and easy to follow that it wasn't difficult at all.  The best advice I was given was ALWAYS, without fail, use a stitch marker to mark the end of each round, because as much as you think you will remember where you are, you won't!  I can vouch for that, so always have a couple of stitch markers to hand.

Freddie was made from Stylecraft Special DK in 'Spice'.  His duffle coat is in a pure wool worsted from Rowan, and his other clothes were left over bits and pieces.  As Freddie grew on the hook, he took on more and more character.  Here he is as just a head!



And then he became a whole fox, but with no clothes, so he hid in my wool bag...



When he was finished  he came with me one afternoon to Cooper's, and met the ladies there.  He was pleased to see they stocked San Pellegrino, as that's his favourite tipple...



My daughter is a PhD student at Oxford, and once he had sufficient clothes to start his new academic life, he packed his suitcase in readiness for the move...



Being a discerning fox, he insisted on travelling first class on the train...



He is very happy living in  his new home, and helps my daughter with her research...



I miss seeing Freddie every day, although I do receive regular photo updates from him, so I am creating my own little friend, Emily the rabbit!  I am making her in Drops Karisma, which is a 100% wool, superwash yarn.  At the moment she is a grisly pile of body parts, but she's taking shape, limb by ear, and I can't WAIT to start making her a wardrobe of pretty clothes.



If you've never had a go at Am-i-gu-ROOOMI, I can highly recommend it, for something fun, fast growing, and pretty cute!  Just don't forget those stitch markers!!!

Oh!  I finished my dress on Monday.  I wore it on Tuesday and it was very cool and comfortable. Here it is, modelled by Valerie!


I wonder if anyone I saw on Tuesday has rumbled that I currently have 6 dresses from this one pattern???  Maybe it'll be 7 before the summer is out :D

Donna x

4 comments:

  1. I love Freddie! I need to get my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's so kind. I can highly recommend the book. You could make yourself a whole menagerie!! :D

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love Freddie! He has such a friendly face and I am sure that your daughter's studies have been greatly enhanced by having such a well-dressed research companion around :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Freddie is hoping to be the first fox to graduate 😉 🦊😊 My daughter is currently on a summer internship in London and Freddie has gone with her. A Fox About Town ☺️ Xx

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!