Blog Archive

Sunday

I awoke this morning with a jumble of ideas in my head of what I wanted to do today.  So, so many possibilities.  On the list was replanting the rest of the patio pots for winter, but as it rained most of the day (and as much as I enjoy gardening, I am definitely a fair weather gardener) POH said he would do those, therefore I could devote the day to indoorsy things. 

I decided to make a traditional Sunday lunch.  Although we have a 'special' meal pretty much every Sunday, I don't always do a roast.  Today I decided to treat my two favourite men to roast beef, Yorkshire Pudding, and all the trimmings.


Oh, those are the rest of the pickled onions we bottled yesterday.  We have approximately 20 large jars, but oh, we do love them!!

As I was in the kitchen all morning, I also decided to make a chocolate roulade for tea.  I whipped the eggs and sugar...


...folded in the flour and cocoa powder, and baked it for 10 minutes.  I tipped it onto a piece of sugared baking paper...


...placed another sheet on top and then rolled it up fairly firmly, like, well, a Swiss roll!  I then left it to cool.  Later on I'll fill it with chocolate ganache and whipped cream.


I also made a steamed jam pudding for lunch dessert.  I didn't take a photo of that though!

Lunch was scrummy.  I didn't have the beef, as I'm vegetarian, so I has stuffed mushrooms instead.  POH obligingly took a photo of his lunch though:


Pudding was eventful.  I carefully cut a delicious, jammy slice for POH, and as I was transferring it to a bowl, I dropped the whole thing in my lap.  There was jam everywhere!  Over the table, the placemats, but mainly me.  We scrapped the pudding off my skirt, and after a quick change we had our pudding.

After the washing up was done POH went back outside to clean up the last of the leaves and I went up to my sewing room to set in the sleeves on the shirt I am making.


By now it was getting dark, so POH came in, I stoked up the fire and we settled down to warm our toes, and I got my crochet out.


I am very excited to tell you about the Blooming Big Blanket, as all the rows are done, the ends sewn in, and I am now doing the edging!  I am using one of Lucy's (Attic 24) edging patterns.  It's this one.  I'm on round 2 of 4 already!  Lucy's blanket edgings are great, and she explains them so well, like she does all of her patterns.  Thanks, Lucy!


At 7.15 pm (precise, because we wanted to watch the Strictly Results Show) we had our tea.  Whenever we have our tea in front of the fire we lay up the little table I inherited from my Mum, adorning it with a pretty cloth.  We had a selection of sandwiches and the chocolate roulade, all accompanied by lashings of Yorkshire tea. Mmmmmm... it was very good.


We are now settled in for the evening, catching up with Howard's End, thoroughly enjoying the fire, the pets' company and the wonderful contentment of a day well spent.

Donna x

2 comments:

  1. That roulade looks amazing! And I can't wait to see the finished crochet blanket - good luck with the final push :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jean! It’s now finished and on the bed, just in time for snuggling under on these freezing cold nights. Need to take some photos now! X

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!