Blog Archive

Summer Days - Part 1

There's something about the summer that makes normal life fly out of the window on occasion, maybe because in these Great British Isles we never know how many Proper Summer Days we will get every year!

This year we have been incredibly lucky and each day has dawned one gloriously sunny day after another.  POH and I have tried to make the most of every sparkling minute and taken up residence on the garden furniture as often as possible, punctuated by trips to some of our favourite National Trust properties.

On Sunday we went to Quarry Bank and took a picnic.  Daisy loves it there as there are plenty of places where she can run free.  POH and I also love the formal gardens (with Daisy on the lead!), and they were particularly beautiful on Sunday.


We also went to Earlham's community cafe and shop, run by volunteers, for a pot of tea and an ice cream.  Such a lovely friendly place and we whiled away some time very pleasantly.  I took part, albeit a day late, in National Knitting Outdoors day too.


We also try and breakfast outdoors whenever we can, and it is the most perfect start to the day.  There is a stillness about the village and we have the birds for company.  The light is perfect, the air warm, but not too hot, and we plan our day over lots of tea.  


Today has been mostly laundry, gardening and a visit to the vets, but I am now indulging in a little al fresco knitting, making a pair of socks for POH, in King Cole, Zig Zag, in the colour 'Michigan'.  My trusty radio is my company and a jug of water keeps me hydrated.  I can't sit in the sun at all - probably too fair - but we have a giant parasol which gives me plenty of shade.


I finished a pair of socks for DD last week, and can't wait to give them to her.  These were the ones knitted in Rico Superba Vulcano.  I just love the colours!  DD picked the yarn herself.  I used Winwick Mum's excellent pattern from her 'Sockalong'.  Still the only sock pattern I have knitted, but it is just so easy to follow!  Truly, I am still amazed I can knit socks, and it's all thanks to Winwick Mum. 

I won't have to wait too long to see them on DD's feet, as she is home for a visit this weekend.  I can't wait to see her!  


I think it may well be time for a pot of tea...  Ah, Summer Living... Brilliant!

Donna x 


2 comments:

  1. Those volcano socks are so bright! Definitely lava-coloured! I'll be really interested to see how your Zig Zag socks turn out too - it looks like they're going to be different to the stripes on mine :) I haven't been to Quarry Bank for such a long time so might have to take a trip out there again xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa! Yes, they are certainly like molton lava! DD is home this weekend and as the weather is a bit cooler they are firmly on her feet :) I am loving the Zig Zag yarn, and yes, I think the pattern is different from the ones you were knitting. It's always a bit of a surprise with the self patterning yarn what we will end up with! Whilst I haven't been disappointed yet, I am particularly pleased with this one. I love Quarry Bank and each time we go we discover something different. The gardens are a delight! xx

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!