Blog Archive

A Pinafore Dress

Hello!

As regular readers will know by now, I sew a lot of clothes for my Darling Daughter.  She works long days in the financial sector in London and needs clothes that are smart but comfortable.  I recently made her five dresses from her favourite pattern here.

She wanted a pinafore dress for some variety, to wear over the shirts I make her.  We looked at patterns together the last time I visited and this is the one she liked.



As she's not here at home, I have to combine all her measurements and knowledge of her to alter a pattern at distance!  We then go for a 'first fit' in some less expensive fabric and make any more tweaks from there for next time.  The fabric I used for this first trial was a large remnant of black gabardine style fabric, with a black satin fabric for the lining.  I don't often sew black fabric and found it a bit hard going on my eyes, even with all available daylight bulbs switched on!

This pattern is really straightforward to make and there are a number of variations to make it either a pinafore dress or a dress in its own right.  

I finished it on Thursday and tried it on Valerie with one of my shirts underneath to get the idea.  




I'm pleased with the clean lines and neat shape. I hope she likes it!

Donna x 

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful outfit, even if it is not the final piece. This version looks plenty lovely enough to wear and beautifully made. Your daughter must surely be delighted, fingers crossed that it fits as well as shown here. It looks very stylish as well as smart for work. What a nice pattern.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara, thank you so much for your lovely comments. The pinafore has just arrived with my daughter, so I am anxiously awaiting to hear how it fits her! Thank you again. Donna

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!