Blog Archive

Yarny, baby obsession!

Hello!

I wrote last time about some of my friends becoming grandparents, and how I was making some baby cardigans and things.  Well, it has become a bit of an obsession!  There's something so satisfying about creating clothes in miniature and the speed at which they make up is really amazing!  So far I have been crocheting them, but I am planning to knit some too.

Last time I had just finished this one...


...and was halfway through making this one!


The first one is from Hayfield pattern 4410 and is so quick and easy to make.  The back and fronts are made in one piece up to the armhole, and that minimises the fiddly sewing up!  Here's the pattern leaflet:


It would make a smart cardigan for an older child too, as it goes up to age 7.

The pink one above is from the fabulous book by Jenny Watson Designs.  A beautifully photographed book, packed full of lovely cardigans, sweaters, hats etc.  I bought it at Yarndale and it's proving to be a very good purchase!


I also made this newborn sized one from the same book  It just needs buttons and then it's done.


It used a really unusual stitch, which I think is called 'twisted trebles' but I'm not sure.  You miss a stitch, work one treble (UK) into the following stitch, then go back and work a treble in the missed stitch.  It makes a really pretty pattern.  

This morning the postman delivered a pattern which I had bought on eBay, King Cole 3479.  I really like the sweater with buttons on the shoulder (makes it easier to dress a wriggling baby) and the jacket with collar.  I think I'm going to make the sweater first!


I can't remember if I showed you the baby blanket that started all this new obsession.  I used my friend Lucy, Attic24's, fabulous Trellis Stripe Pattern, in a single colour of DK mercerised cotton.  I'm so pleased with it and it was a lovely, rhythmic pattern to make.  I added my own scallop edging. 


















I now have a baby yarn storage box in my sewing room and I think I am well and truly hooked on making baby things!

Donna x 

4 comments:

  1. Oh!! I love baby clothes!! I make blankets for donation in public hospitals. There is a group called Tejiendo por un sueño ( Knitting for a dream ) I have been crocheting for 6 years and It's nice that something I enjoy helps children and mothers!
    your cardigans are gorgeous!!






    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments! What a wonderful and kind thing you do, making blankets for children. I'm sure they are treasured by the people who receive them.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea to make some baby things in advance. This way, when you hear of a baby on its way, there's no need to make something in a hurry. For knitting, I love Debbie Bliss patterns, especially her Baby Cashmerino booklets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have a look for those booklets. I do like Debbie Bliss's patterns, and her yarns too!

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!