Blog Archive

January Projects

Hello from a very dark and gloomy North of England.  Outside it's trying to snow, but inside it's lovely and cosy here in my sewing room.  Radio is on, the daylight lamps are making it feel like spring, and I am sitting down to write to you about my latest projects. 

I am continuing this year logging all my finished articles and so far in my book I have completed:

My 'Stained Glass Window' quilted wallhanging.  This is from a design set by Anita Goodesign and I am really pleased with how it came out.  I started this design in early December and finished it mid January, so about six weeks work, whilst working on other things as well.


Each block is applique, and the 'lead lines' are machine satin stitch.  I stitched a pocket on the back to thread the rod through that is set above the woodstove in the living room.  I am pleased with the brightness of the colours and it certainly brightens up these dark days of winter.

Next is a baby cardigan for my friend's new baby:


I am not sure if the buttons are a bit close together, so next time I will space them out a little more.  The buttons are wood and are rather cute!  I wish I could wear teddy buttons on my cardigans!

I've also made some small items which I can't show you as one is a present for a friend, who may just read this, and two are trial items I have made which will be Christmas gifts, so I can't show you those yet either!! Sorry!!!

OK, on to current projects that I can show you!  I knitted a pair of socks for Christmas for my friend's husband (he's also my friend!) and he is apparently wearing them so much I am knitting him a second pair as a surprise.  I am taking part in Winwick Mum's Winter Haven KAL, but in a loose sense as I am using Christine's original 'sockalong' sock pattern and some King Cole Zig Zag yarn.  It's still really lovely feeling I am part of the KAL though and I like that feeling of community.  This photo was taken on week 1 of the KAL and I am a lot further on now!


My current large quilting project is a set of placemats.  A few years ago we added a large extension to the house, which was originally going to be our 'garden room'.  However, once it was finished we liked it so much we use it for our main living room, and have our dining table in there, two large sofas, sideboard etc., and our woodstove.  The original siting room and dining room, whilst fully furnished as a sitting room and a study, are not used as much at all now as the 'new' living room is bright and cheerful in the summer, having 2 large sets of glass doors that open out onto the garden.  In the winter the woodstove and soft lighting from table and wall lamps make it feel so comforting and welcoming.  

Anyway, I have completely digressed, but felt we needed some background to the theme here! I wanted to echo the original feeling for the room, as a garden room, and have a bird theme to the placemats.  They are pieced using a lovely fabric collection from Lewis and Irene called 'The Hedgerow'. 


Each placemat features a large block with an embroidered bird, again from a collection of patterns by Anita Goodesign, called 'Songbirds'.  


This is proving to be a very long project - the embroidery takes a considerable time in itself - plus it's like making seven mini quilts (six placemats and a table centre!)  I dip in and out of it so I don't get bored doing them!

This year I am continuing with my sockie scrappy Friendship Blanket, which I making from generous donations of sock yarn leftovers from my lovely friends at Cooper's Creative.  I am using my friend Lucy's (Attic24) solid granny square pattern.  When I saw Lucy last week we worked out how many 4 ply squares I would need to make it single bed size... Let's just say it was several hundred!  Again, this is a work in progress that I dip in and out of.  The tiny blocks are so soothing and rhythmic to make and they are a great project for travelling too.  This is how it's looking so far:


I bought the silvery grey for the alternate squares from Wool Warehouse, and it's Drops Flora.  


I've certainly got lots to keep me busy, which is just how I like it at this time of year. 

Donna x 

8 comments:

  1. Hello I love your stained glass window it makes me think about art nouveau and I really like this period. Cardigan buttons are so cute! I like too😉. I can't wait to see your bird project, the fabric collection is beauyigul I' m sure it will be a perfect wallhanging! Respect your granny blanket is quite advanced I'm still crocheting grannies...with all colours you can imagine ☺️to use all leftovers I have, it's interesting to combine colours. Aran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Aran. Aren't granny squares great for using up leftovers! Are you going to make them into a blanket? Thank you for your kind comments about my quilting; I really am delighted you like them. Donna

      Delete
  2. Oh, you've been busy! The stained glass quilt is lovely - the dragon flies, the tree, everything. And those birds! I can't imagine how you do it.
    Do you remember writing about the beautiful handmade stork scissors your son gave you on Mothering Sunday? Well, the same scissor maker will be attending our regional needle crafts fair in the Netherlands next week. If it wasn't for your blog, I wouldn't have recognized their name on the list of stall holders. I can't wait to see them in real life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to hear, that Ernest Wright scissor company are visiting the Netherlands! That is so exciting! The company had sadly closed, but new owners stepped in to rescue the business, which is just wonderful. It is now going from strength to strength. I truly treasure my handmade scissors and use them with pleasure every single day.

      Thank you for your kind remarks about my stained glass quilt. I am very touched you like it so much.

      Enjoy visiting the scissors and do let me know if you purchase any! Donna

      Delete
  3. Many beautiful works!!😍
    I couldn't figure how to attach a photo here but I promise I'll do!!
    I love the way you join the solid granny...could you help me with that?
    Have a nice week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Silvia, I join my granny squares using Lucy at Attic24's method, beautifully illustrated here:

      https://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/solid-granny-square.html

      Scroll down the page until you see the heading 'STITCHING SQUARES TOGETHER - AN INVISIBLE JOINING METHOD'. This is such a great method as it minimises joining yarns by using the tail from each square to join it to the others. Let me know how you get on!

      Delete
  4. Hello I've got 2 stripes of my granny square blanket , it's not too much but at last I've started. I enjoy while I'm doing it. Aran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great start! Well done! It'll grow nicely now and you will enjoy seeing the blanket take shape with each row you add. Have fun; that's the main thing. Donna

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!