Blog Archive

A few projects on the go

Hello my friends,

I hope all is well with you and your loved ones and you are managing to take something positive from these strange and sometimes scary days.

I've been enjoying flitting from project to project, interspersing time in the garden with time in my sewing room. The garden has been loving the early heat we've been blessed with.  We are fortunate enough to have a separate vegetable garden and it's already providing us with fresh herbs, overwintered chard, rhubarb and leeks.  This year's salad crops are coming along well and this is my lettuce bed.  



We eat tons of salad, so I sow a pinch of lettuce seeds every two weeks to keep us in continuous pickings.  I also sow a sprinkle of rocket seeds every week to ten days, as we absolutely adore rocket and eat it every which way and as often as we can.

I promised you a sneak peek of some completed quilt blocks for the King Size quilt I am making for our bed.  Each block is made up of four 8 inch 'blocklets', therefore each complete block is 16 inches square, making it very difficult to photograph three in a row!  I stood on the bed, wobbling around like mad, and this was the best photo I could get!



 The pattern is by Anita Goodesign and is called 'Floral Rings' and the fabrics are by Moda and Rose and Hubble.  Each block is 'quilt as you go', and it will have an extra layer of cotton quilt batting added when I put it together.  This is going to be a loooong project!

Now definitely provides the opportunity to search among the stash to find materials to use for projects, and I found this cotton furnishing fabric to make some cushion covers for the bench in the front garden. I also made a seat cushion for the bench, so that during these days at home we can sit in the front garden and say hello to passers by! Now I've finished this project the rain has arrived, but on the next dry day when I put the cushions out I will take a photo for you!




I bought a pattern for baby clothes, as my dear friend has become a first time grandmother to a beautiful baby girl. I decided to make a little dress, and to save cutting the pattern I traced off the size I wanted to make, using some ordinary tracing paper. The pattern is Butterick 5624.




I finished the dress today and here it is! 




 This is the back view.




The fabric is Liberty Tana Lawn, a piece just big enough that I found in my fabric cupboard, left over from a shirt I made for my daughter.  I posted it off today and I hope the baby's parents like it!

The last project I have to show you today is a teeny tiny project I am making, following my friend Lucy's pattern, at Attic24.  She made the most beautiful spring garland and I fancied doing some thread crochet so I am making it using Scheepjes Sweet Treat crochet cotton and a 2mm hook.  It's a lovely pattern and the blossoms are so dainty! 



And there we have it.  A few projects I have been working on to help the days pass by in a happy and contented way.  I'd love to hear what projects you have on the go at the moment. Please leave a message below!

Stay safe and well and I'll 'see you' soon.

Donna x

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I am working (slowly) in a quilting online group. It's called El quilt de la cuarentena (Quarantine's quilt) by Cecilia Koppmann. She is an expert and since 20th of march she is sharing a video and making one block every day at 3pm. You can find her on Fb and Instagram.
    It's a beautiful experience and a good thing to wait for every day.
    Your quilt in progress is so so pretty! I look foward more photos!
    Wish you and your family a nice week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Silvia! What a wonderful online community project to be involved in! I will take a look and I look forward to seeing your work too. Stay safe, and best wishes to you.

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!