Blog Archive

The Little Things

 Hello Friends,

I was reflecting the other day that alongside the really important, and Big Things in life - such as family, friends, a home, food on the table - the Little Things often bring us such a lot of pleasure. 

It was our wedding anniversary recently, and we are still relative newlyweds, having both been widowed before and marrying each other a few short years ago.  We decided we have everything we need, so we agreed a special token gift would be perfect.  One of my favourite shops is Fortnum and Mason, and on a recent visit to London to visit my daughter, my lovely husband had sneaked off and got me a beautifully wrapped little package...

Inside were two gorgeous bars of  Nesti Dante soap.  I have a thing about beautiful soap and derive such pleasure in selecting and using the next tablet.  These two are called Romantica (how apt!) and Lavanda.  I wish we had such a thing as sniff-a-blog as they smell amazing!

Last week we found ourselves with a free day so we hopped in the car and took ourselves to Ilkley, in Yorkshire, and settled in Betty's for tea and a Vanilla Slice apiece.  One of my absolute favourite places to go, as regular readers will have gathered by now!  We chatted, and sipped tea, and had the most relaxing afternoon. 

One of my other favourite things to do is truffle around nice charity shops in search of Treasure.  I've been very fortunate recently and found this beautiful Bunnykins birthday plate for the princely sum of of just £2!

In the next shop I found two boxes of handkerchiefs for a £1 each!prefer handkerchiefs over tissues, (tissues make me sneeze!) and these are already washed, pressed and in use.  Is there any lovelier smell than a cotton hankie, dried in the fresh air and ironed?  Bliss.

I also love to poke around in antiques shops.  It's nice to look at the beautiful silver and fine art, but what I really like is to rummage around in the baskets of odds and ends - the items on low shelves - and see what I can find.  We drove out to a lovely antiques place on Saturday, called Holden Wood.  It's in a converted church, so plenty of corners to explore.  I admired so many beautiful things, but was happy to leave clutching my modest purchase - six vintage coathangers to pad and cover, for hanging up my vintage knits.  £4 well spent!

Lastly, the simple pleasure of growing food.  Here are my pride and joy - the chilli plants!


Oh, and let's not forget the pleasure of finishing a WIP!  After my Blog Posts of Shame, I have several items to show you that are now FINISHED! So next time, expect Harry Potter, socks, and cardigans!

Donna xx


2 comments:

  1. I still have all my Bunnykins plates and dishes from when I was little, and I adore those bunny pictures. I would spend ages looking at what all the little rabbits were doing and wearing! I remember being given packets of hankies just like those for Christmas too, but as a child they were not exactly the gifts that I wanted! I'm glad someone else has saved them and you can use them now xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too! Looking at the Bunnykins illustrations as a child was like peering through a misted window at a secret world, one so enticing and cosy. Yes, hankies were not my favourite gift as a child, but now I love them! In fact for my recent birthday my sister gifted me some beautiful vintage boxes of them, and yes, they will now be used happily. xx

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!