Blog Archive

Happy Summer Days

Well, we've had slightly less rain, and definitely more sun! Consequently, I've done less sewing than in recent weeks and a bit more crochet, as I can sit outside and do that.  I'm still enjoying working on my granny stripe 'A Good Vintage Cardigan', that I talked about on my last post.  The soothing stripes in jolly colours are perfect for summer afternoon crochet.  

We've also been pottering in the garden, although the ground is rather too muddy to do much.  The runner beans are growing like mad now!

Sunny days have resulted in a couple of picnics being hastily arranged.  I love (I mean really LOVE) picnics, and the simple pleasure of spreading out the picnic tablecloth, or even a napkin on a bench, brings all sorts of happiness to my heart.




This was Tuesday - a lovely day spent with my dear friend, J, at...of course...Dunham Massey!  Yes, my happy place!  J and I sat in the formal gardens and chatted and ate and chatted some more.  You will note the absence of cake or dessert in the above photo, that's because we went to the cafe and stuffed ourselves full of cream scones and bara brith afterwards :)

I must just say (brag) that all the salad in the blue container was homegrown.  Every last leaf and cucumber slice was grown in our garden.  



It was such a lovely day.  The sun was shining and we enjoyed watching the deer enjoying the sunshine too.




I could live here (in my dreams!)





I did manage a little bit of sewing last week, on a rainy afternoon.  I made myself a skirt, modified from Vogue 8749.  I didn't like the centre front seam, so I removed that by cutting the front on the fold. I put a concealed zip in the side seam.  

I saw the fabric in Cool Crafting in Skipton, half price, so I could hardly leave it there, could I??  I have also been looking for a good excuse to buy some giant ric rac, and if you can see, the flowers have a sort of zig zag applique detail to them, so I thought this could be my chance!

The cotton fabric was a dream to sew, and with only two main pieces, plus waist facing, it was literally a couple of hours of sewing.  It's a full circle, so a little bit retro, I thought.



In the week since I made it I've worn it three times, and it is cool and comfortable, and deliciously flippy!

I've made this pattern a couple of times before, and always forget how much I enjoy sewing it.  The longest part is definitely pressing up the hem, but I do that in a more simple way than the pattern suggests by either overlocking the edge and then pressing up a scant 1/2", or, if  the fabric is very lightweight, such as a lawn, I press up 1/2" and then go around again, tucking the edge under to meet the fold, giving it a good press as I go, This results in a very neat 1/4" narrow hem. Doing it this way eliminates the need for easing/steaming/coaxing into submission the fullness of a full skirt.  
On a cotton, summer skirt like this, I usually machine stitch the hem, but on a wool skirt, or 'best dress' I would invisibly slip stitch the hem.  A couple of years ago I made a full length ball gown for my daughter in red embroidered satin brocade.  The hem was over 6 metres wide, finished with 'horsehair' braid on the inside to make it 'float'.  I hand stitched the entire hem with teeny tiny stitches. 

Now that, dear reader, is Love.

Donna x 





2 comments:

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!