Blog Archive

A new arrival

No, no.  Not THAT sort of arrival!!

THIS sort of arrival!!!



I often look at the Lord's Sewing Centre's website (they are based in Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire), just to browse.  I  happened to spot the rather beautiful machine pictured above.  It's a Brother NV1e, pre-owned.

I bought my current machine, the Innovis 5000, from them a few years ago, and it has given excellent service.  I was beginning to feel I could do with something speedier for uploading embroidery designs, as I am doing more of that, as well as applique, as part of teaching-myself-to-quilt.

Lord's are my favourite sewing machine retailers EVER. Keith and all the staff are so helpful, and on the odd occasion I have had a problem with my sewing machine or overlocker, I have been able to get an instant solution over the phone, or have taken the machine in, and more often than not had it fixed there and then.  I sent an email to Keith asking a few questions about the NV1e and he quickly replied, answering all of my questions.  I arranged to see it on the weekend and decided to buy it straight away!

As I mentioned, it is pre-owned as was my last machine, but fully serviced, guaranteed and in superb condition.  

It even comes with a tablet and pen, so you can draw or write on the tablet, upload to the machine, and then stitch it out!  I can autograph my quilts! (Once I have learned to quilt properly, that is...)

I traded in my old machine, and tried to be businesslike about it, and not sentimental (I know, I know; it's a machine...) but it gave me a bit of a jolt when I visited again today to return a part I had forgotten to take in, and then saw my machine waiting to be serviced and, presumably, offered for sale.

Here it is.  I wish I had taken a better photograph of it now! It's so out of focus :(



I brought my new machine home yesterday but was sooooo self disciplined and made myself tidy up my horribly untidy sewing room before setting it up.  I've still more to do in there, but look at my tidy boxes under the table...



Yep.  All yarn. :)

I currently have two tables - one for the sewing machine and one for the overlocker, but the plan is to take out the Big Cupboard that contains all the home office stuff and create a study area downstairs. Then I can have a third table and have my coverstitch machine out permanently, with maybe my 1960s Singer (Big Bertha) at the back of the table, ready for super-heavy-duty projects.  It's all a work in progress.  I'll show you some more photos once it's done.

I had a little go on my new machine today and am making myself a shirt.  Yes, another shirt!  This time for ME!!  I use the same pattern as I do for my daughter, but with a completely different fit through the body.  (I have two sets of darts drawn on to the pattern, and as long as I use the correct ones each time it works well!)

I am not 100% sure about the fabric choice for a shirt, but it was left over from this dress, which I made earlier in the year...



It's a Liberty cotton lawn, and I love the hand painted look, but the print might be too large for a shirt. I didn't have enough left over to make a long sleeved shirt (like I normally do) so am making the short sleeved version - View C...



Ooh!  Just look at that multi-bulb LED lighting!!

Anyway, time will tell whether the shirt works or not.  It's not the end of the world if it doesn't as it was literally left over fabric.

So, that was my exciting weekend with my New Arrival.  The type that doesn't keep me awake at night :)

Donna x 




5 comments:

  1. See you have differend things you made that I love to...Love the nice green drese....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really kind - thank you! I couldn't picture what the green fabric would look like made up, but I am really pleased with the result. :)

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!