Blog Archive

A visit to my daughter

I've mentioned before that my Darling Daughter is at Oxford, studying for her PhD (or DPhil, as they call it there).  I went down last week to spend a few precious days with her, and we had such a wonderful time.  We ambled around, treading the cobbled streets that she now knows so well.  DD took her Masters there, so is in her 5th year of being an Oxford resident.  

The Radcliffe Camera


Jesus College






The Shaldonian Theatre - DD's Masters graduation ceremony was held here


DD spends many hours in the Bodleian Library


The scene of many a crime in Lewis or Endeavour...

...but in reality a quiet, leafy street

On Sunday evening I went to Choral Evensong in the college chapel.  The choir were sublime, and it was a wonderful hour spent.

Afterwards we flopped in her room and watched reruns of Endeavour, eating chocolate covered nuts and raisins.  It's wonderful having all the family together, but sometimes just being the two of us is magical beyond words.

We spent a lovely day at Blenheim Palace and Woodstock.  Winston Churchill spent a lot of time here as a child, and there were little glimpses into history everywhere, The scenery around the grounds was pretty spectacular too!









Another blissful, pyjama clad evening watching Endeavour (we're almost word perfect with the scripts now), reading, crocheting (me) and making cups of tea.  We have simple needs.

We paid a visit to the new shopping mall that was opening up in Oxford.  Excitement was all around, and I have to admit I queued to be one of the first to visit the new John Lewis!  I wasn't sure if they were going to have a haberdashery department, as rumours had been rife that this was to be cut from some stores, but I was delighted to see a busy haberdashery, albeit a little small.  

I purchased 2 metres of spotty dotty navy and white stretch fabric for a dress.  I  wanted JL to feel it was wise to keep haberdashery!




Before we knew it, it was time for me to board my train and head home.  However, the happy memories I brought home with me will last a lifetime.

Donna x 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!