Blog Archive

Knee High Socks

Hello! 

Since learning how to knit socks last winter, I have developed somewhat of a sock-knitting obsession (I was warned I would!)  Up until now I have used Winwick Mum's excellent pattern 'as is', just adjusting the size as necessary, and have knitted several pairs for my daughter and my husband (!)  

I thought it was time to knit some for myself, but the dilemma was that when I wear socks I only ever wear knee high ones.  When I explained this to my daughter she asked me why, and I said "Because I always have done!"  Not much of an answer really, and somewhat akin to saying "Because I said so".  I decided to have a go at adapting  Christine's (Winwick Mum) pattern to make knee highs, and here's what I did, giving full credit to Christine for the original pattern, which I highly recommend!

I wanted to end up with a main working number of stitches of 60, so to accommodate my calf, I cast on 68 stitches.  I worked 27 rounds of rib, hoping the extra rib will stop my socks from falling down (which is a pet hate of mine!)

Once the rib was complete I worked 9 rounds of knit.  On round 10 I decreased 1 stitch on each side.  I continued in the same way, decreasing 2 stitches on rounds 20, 30 and 40, ending up with the 60 stitches I needed.

I worked a total of 140 rounds (including the rib) and then carried on following Christine's pattern for the heel, foot etc.

Here are the finished socks!



I am really pleased with them, and they are just the right length.  I've been wearing them around the house and they feel great.  I am just a little concerned that when I wear them out all day they may slip down a little, but if they do I will try threading a little shirring elastic on the inside of the rib, not too tight, as I don't want to cut off my circulation, but just enough to give them a little more grip.  Next time I may also try increasing the depth of the rib too.  I will let you know how I get on.

UPDATE:  I've worn my knee high socks quite a bit now, and they are deliciously warm and toasty, and great for these cooler days.  However, they do work their way down, and I feel like a ten year old, having to stop and pull them up.  They also feel a bit loose on my feet, and I am wondering if I have started knitting more loosely, now that I am more confident as a sock knitter.  For my next pair I  cast on 64 stitches for the ribbing, followed the method above to decrease 2 stitches at a time, to give a final number of 56 stitches to see if that gives the snugger (is this a word??) fit that I like.  I am also making the ribbing even deeper - 40 rows of it this time!

However, for the pair above all is not lost!  I wore the socks for several hours, to stretch the ribbing a bit, threaded a wool needle with a long length of shirring elastic and ran several rows of stitches (about an inch and a half's worth) through the pairs of knit stitches on the inside, taking care to keep the ribbing flat and not to pull the elastic very much.  HOWEVER, I can't stress enough that is so important NOT to pull the elastic tight as that could be very detrimental to the circulation in the legs. Years ago I had deep vein thrombosis and, later on, surgery for varicose veins, so I am very mindful of not having anything tight around my calves.  This is the reason I wore the socks first, to stretch the ribbing, as it would make for much more relaxed elastic.  When the socks are on I can't feel the elastic at all, it doesn't leave any mark on my legs at the end of the day, but my socks stay up!  Yay!!

I also discovered a magical looking thing called 'knitting in elastic', which, as the name suggests, you knit alongside the yarn as you go.  It seems to be quite a traditional thing, used for ribbing on sleeves, hems, as well as socks, to help the ribbing keep its shape.  I have ordered some of this to try for the pair after the pair I am knitting (knit faster, Donna!!!) and will let you know how I get on with it.

I have also made another 'normal' pair for my daughter.  These are in King Cole Zig Zag, in the colourway of 'Wizard'.  My daughter is a huge Harry Potter fan and she loves them!



I would love to hear if any of you have made knee high socks and if so, how you keep them from slipping down!  Please leave a comment below if you have any hints or tips.  Thank you! x

Donna x 

11 comments:

  1. They look brilliant, and thanks for sharing how you made them. I do get asked quite regularly about knee high socks so I'll be able to send people over to your blog to look at how you did it now! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so kind of you - thank you! I've just started my second pair! I'm going to try an even deeper rib this time, so I will add updates as to how that works out. xx

      Delete
  2. Lovely to find your blog via Lucy. So many interesting posts, I'm enjoying reading.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jacquie! Thank you so much for visiting! I really appreciate you taking the time to read my posts, and I’m delighted you are enjoying them. After my conversation with Lucy last week I am definitely going to view my blog with fresh eyes and write more frequently. I hope you will continue reading! x

      Delete
  3. I knit 1 x 1 twisted rib for 35 rows and find that works for me. I also use the cablecast on so there is not too much stretch in it. I saw that Arne and Carlos have designed a long sock pattern so will be checking that out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pam. Thank you so much for reading and for your great suggestions. Is the twisted rib firmer and more likely to stay up? I haven’t ever tried it. I was going to ask what a cable cast on is (I’m still learning about knitting!) but I’ve just googled it and discovered that’s the only way I know how to cast on anyway! Well, I didn’t know it was called that! :) I will have a look at Arne and Carlos’ pattern too. Thank you x

      Delete
    2. I don't know whether twisted rib is firmer but my tension on straight 2 x 2 rib is rubbish. I also like the look of twisted rib, I do not twist the purl stitch on socks, just the knit.

      Delete
  4. Hello - I discovered your blog via Attic 24 and have just spent a very pleasant hour catching up! I really enjoyed reading about your snippets of life as you have similar interests to me although you are infinitely more skilful. I loved reading about your garden as I have recently become an enthusiastic but relatively clueless gardener - we have a long thin garden I am trying to tame (but not too much as I want to encourage wildlife). I enjoy crocheting and drawing and cooking. Wish I could knit as I love the idea of a pair of knitted socks but after many attempts I've decided safer with one hook than two needles! Anyway, just wanted to say hello and I look forward to your more frequent blog posts - I'm following along on Bloglovin. Alex :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Alex, thank you so much for your lovely comments and for following my blog. It's great to have you along to share life's lovely and creative moments. I'm absolutely in agreement with you about not trying to tame the garden too much, as wildlife in the garden brings it alive. Monty Don wrote something about making your garden as if one season could see nature reclaim it. Something like that anyway, I can't remember his exact words, but I wholeheartedly agree with him! I spent this afternoon in the vegetable garden, and found a large frog in a bucket! He had obviously jumped in from a higher step and couldn't get out again! I placed him carefully in the watercress bed and once he had got over his ordeal he hopped away happily :) Thank you again, Donna x

      Delete
  5. I've JUST finished my first pair of socks and I'm so glad they're done. I was really intimidated by the heel and toe but it turns out if you take it round by round, it's not that hard. Congrats on those knee hi's - they are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your first pair of socks! When I knitted my first pair I felt like I was knitting through a letter box and couldn't quite figure out how I had actually made them! With the second pair it all started to fall in to place and on the third pair I really relaxed and felt like I finally (sort of!) knew what I was doing! Thank you for your kind comments and good luck with your next pair! x

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!