Blog Archive

Sunday at home.

I'm sitting by the fire, on this dark Monday evening, reflecting on the lovely day I had yesterday.  It was a 'home' day, nothing remarkable happened, but it was special in its contented domesticity.  

The day started with breakfast with my husband, and then, whilst he visited his Mother, I made a pan of winter vegetable soup for lunch.


This was simply a base of onions, carrots and celery, to which I added parsnips and a swede.  I added some organic vegetable stock, garlic, and a teaspoon of ground cumin.  Seasoned with black pepper, I simmered it until the vegetables were tender and then whizzed it all with my stick blender.  I ate mine with a sprinkle of chilli flakes on top!

To go with it I made some seeded bread.  I used my favourite mix of 50% stoneground wholemeal and 50% extra strong white bread flour.  I like seeds in my bread, plus they are good in so many ways, so to 500g of flour I add half a cup of mixed seeds, including sunflower, pumpkin, poppy, linseed and sesame. I also add a large teaspoon of oat bran.  I increase the amount of yeast slightly, as all those seeds weigh it down!


Whilst I was in the kitchen I prepped all the vegetables for our evening meal, as it does make cooking later on a doddle!


In the midst of all this activity I replaced the charcoal filter in the lid of my compost bin.  These are really expensive to buy for what they are, so I purchase a sheet of the carbon filter that is sold for cooker hoods, (I think this one cost me all of £5!)  Simply use the old one as a template and cut around it with scissors.  I can get loads cut from one sheet, so it works out much, much cheaper.

After lunch I headed up to my sewing room, (it's almost finished!) and did a bit of Christmas sewing.  My daughter is very fond of dragons (don't ask...) and so I machine appliqued some tea towels for her new home...


The dragon was a pattern from Designs by Juju.  She has some lovely patterns, instantly downloadable, plus very good sale prices!

I also made another tea napkin (I'm building up a set), from another of her sets.


Whilst I was in my sewing room heaven, I trimmed the threads on another towel I had made for our downstairs loo.  This was a pattern by Anita Gooddesign, which are available in the UK from several places, including Lord's Sewing, a fantastic, family owned business, from where I buy my sewing machines, stabilisers, threads, as well as the Anita Gooddesign patterns.  


This was to go with one I made a few weeks ago...


Whilst I was immersed in embroidery threads and stabiliser, DH was in the living room, putting up the Christmas Tree.  He is so much better at this than I am so I leave him to it!


We had our dinner by our lovely Christmas Tree, with logs crackling merrily on the fire.  Perfect.

After dinner I finished a thread crochet bookmark I was making for my friend.  


It was such a perfect winter Sunday, and I enjoyed every minute, and felt quite productive too!

Donna x 



4 comments:

  1. Oh my! Those appliquéd motifs look so un-home-made (in a positive way). Really neat and professional looking!
    And what a lovely description of your day. The photo of all the seeds you use in your bread is a work of art in itself. The bread sounds delicious. And your mix of activity and quiet time sounds good too.
    What do you use a tea napkin for? Is it for tea as in supper, or for tea as in a pot of tea and cakes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your comment about being un-home-made (in a positive way) as that is such a compliment! Thank you! Tea napkins are a bit retro, and are used for tea and cake, when a full size dinner napkin might look a bit unnecessary. I have decided to return to a simpler time, of tea trays, cake forks, and yes, tea napkins. Slowing life down a tad, and taking time to savour it.

    Yes, I thought the seeds looked a bit poetic, so I took a photo! Maybe it's the different textures and tonal variations?

    Hope you are having a lovely day. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. A day of contented domesticity sounds like heaven! I can quite understand your daughter's love of dragons, apparently when I was little (a LONG time ago!) I had dragons as imaginary friends :) Love your dragons. And the bookmark looks beautiful. Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Larissa, I had a lovely weekend and I hope you did too. As weird as it sounds, dragons (well, some of them anyway!) do have a rather friendly look about them,so I can appreciate your imaginary dragon friends! x

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!