Blog Archive

Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day!

Well, our first Valentine's Day since we married last year and it didn't disappoint.  The day started with breakfast in bed, complete with red roses and Lindt chocolate (saved that for later though!) and then the day unfolded to become one of contentment, and happy pottering.

What a beautifully sunny day it's been too.  I spent the afternoon in the garden, tidying here, cutting back there, and admiring the unfurling of leaves and the odd splash of early spring colour.

I love these teeny tiny irises; their colour is so vibrant and their shape so perfectly miniature.


Next to the greenhouse, the clumps of tete a tete daffodils are ready to burst into flower.


The hellebores are such sturdy little things and have been valiantly blooming since Christmas!


Dotted here and there, in sheltered spots, are pots of spring bulbs, ready to flower at their appointed times.



I hung the laundry out on the line to dry in the sunshine this morning and it was dry enough to iron by late afternoon.  I love ironing things straight from the line and the cotton smells so fresh and the creases just melt away.  The little pile of ironing was done in no time and I packed away and had a nice cup of tea.

I made a special three course meal for Valentine's Day and we cracked open the bottle of raspberry gin I had bought for DH.  Yummy! 

The clearing up is done, the fire is on and all is peaceful. It's been a lovely day and tomorrow is Friday, which means a wonderful morning with friends at Cooper's Creative!  I shall pack my bag this evening, ready for an early start tomorrow :)

Donna x 

4 comments:

  1. Your mini irises are lovely. It looks like your spring bulbs are out just a bit earlier than here. In Yorkshire, how can that be? A sheltered spot, perhaps. So relaxing to read about your day to day things, even the laundry.

    I have a belated question about your previous post. Do you eat something on or with your cheese scones? Butter? Chutney? Or just as they are? They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just put butter on my cheese scones, but chutney does sound like a pretty good idea too! I love them enormously as they can be eaten on their own, with cheese/salad/soup, and are quick to make.

      I too am amazed at the earliness of some of the bulbs and perennials in the garden. I just hope we don't suddenly have a sharp frost now to damage anything!

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I'm going to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!