Blog Archive

A Lovely Week

Hello my friends!

I'm having such a lovely week.  I'm feeling almost 'normal' again (whatever that is!) and have been tootling around doing the things that please me the most.

On Monday afternoon my friend from our former workplace came over for a visit.  She too is a 'crafty' person and we talked about our current projects and had some Show and Tell.  We sat by the fire and chatted, cups of Betty's tea in hand and tea plates with cheese scones balanced on our knees.  It was a very pleasant couple of hours.  


I love making cheese scones, as they just work for so many occasions.  Bowl of soup?  I'll just have a cheese scone with that.  Afternoon munchies?  Cheese scone sized solution.  They are so simple to make too.  If you want to try my recipe, here it is!

Ingredients:

12 oz self raising flour
2 oz butter at room temperature
6 - 7 oz of extra strong cheddar, preferably vintage cheddar.  You can also replace an ounce of the cheddar with some grated Parmesan, if you like that.
2 large eggs, beaten.
Milk to mix
1 teaspoon of mustard powder (I use Colman's but if you only have a jar of ready mixed, add a generous teaspoon of that to the beaten egg mixture).
Salt and pepper

Method:

Rub the butter into the flour, stir in the mustard powder, salt and pepper, mixing well.

Stir in about 7/8 of the cheese, saving a bit to scatter on the top.

Gradually add the beaten eggs, saving a little bit to brush on the tops.  Add just enough milk to bind the mixture together.  You don't want to make it sticky, but make sure there are no dry bits left.

Place the mixture on a lightly floured surface and press out with your hands to a generous half an inch thick.  Don't be tempted to use a rolling pin as it will make the dough too thin too quickly!

Cut out shapes with a biscuit cutter and place on a greased baking tray.

Brush the tops with the reserved beaten egg, being careful not to let it run down the sides, which would stop the scones from rising.

Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese over the scones and bake for approximately 15 - 17 minutes, in a hot oven (210 - 220 Celsius) until golden. 

Cool slightly on a wire rack, and, if possible, eat warm, spread with butter.  Yummy!

They also freeze really well (assuming there are any left, of course!)


My friend gave me some gorgeous tulips.  Aren't they just lovely?  I adore spring flowers, and the feeling of hope they bring.

On Tuesday I went to Cooper's Creative in Skipton for a happy afternoon of chatter and yarny loveliness with my good friends.  I did a bit more on DH's sock (on the foot of sock number 2 now!) and also worked on my Fiona Cardigan by Purl and Jane.  I have loved this pattern for ages and am so excited to be finally making it.  However, a combination of using a yarn with a different tension (Rowan Handknit Cotton) and circular instead of straight needles, resulted in the first piece coming up too big.  Not a fault of the pattern at all, I hasten to add, but the person knitting it.  Ahem.  Me.  I frogged it last night and started over.  I'll get there in the end and I'm looking forward to having a Fiona of my own!  It's a great pattern, and so well written.  



I finished my latest 'Your Mileage May Vary' shawl on Monday, using the gorgeous yarn created and naturally dyed by my talented friend, Tracy.  I am delighted with it, and am wearing it as I sit here, typing away.  It's warm, cosy and deliciously scrumptious!  The wool is Blue Faced Leicester, and you can read more about it on my previous blog post.  I got a bit excited taking photos and even roped DH, home on his lunch break, in to help!





This morning I had a domesticated couple of hours, doing laundry and cleaning,  then called over to see a dear friend of mine. DH came home for lunch, (and to help with holding the shawl for photographing) and now I am in my sewing room, working on my son's quilt.  

This is officially a Good Week.  I hope wherever you are and whatever you are doing, you are having a Good Week too.

Donna x 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!