Blog Archive

Pottering

Hello!

Well, I'm pleased to say that I am so much better than the last time I wrote.  I am still having to take things slowly, as my body soon lets me know when I've done too much, but these past few days have been a distinct improvement!

So I have taken to pottering.  The Cambridge Dictionary definition of the verb 'to potter' is 'to move around without hurrying, in a a relaxed and pleasant way'. I would say that just about sums up my days at the moment :)

I pottered over to Cooper's in Skipton on Friday for a lovely morning with friends, learning how to knit 'jogless' colour stripes on four needles.  This was an informal workshop, taught by the very fabulous Fiona.  Fiona was so patient and I really learned so much.  I'm looking forward to some more lessons on colourwork as it something I have always wanted to do but didn't think I could ever achieve.  Fiona makes it all seem very achievable indeed!



I also treated myself to a naughty extra cast on (I really should be focusing fully on DH's socks!)  Just before Christmas I treated myself to a skein of my friend's hand spun and hand dyed yarn.  Tracy's business is Hand Dyed Over Yonder and the yarn she produces is just incredible.  She uses all natural dyes and everything is produced as naturally as possible.  I bought this skein of BFL (which came packaged in it's own project bag) and squished it every time I saw it in my sewing room.  On Saturday I decided the time had come to wind it into a ball and create something wearable with it.  


I settled on making another shawlette from The Crochet Project, 'Your Mileage May Vary', designed by Joanne Scrace.  I love the one I made in 2017 and wear it often. I also made several for gifts.  The pattern is in the booklet 'The Shawl Project - Book One' and all the patterns are so wearable and a joy to make.  I'm making it slightly longer, as I did last time.  I love the way the colours are working together; it almost has an 'antique look'.


Speaking of antiques, I do like a truffle around charity shops, as you never know what you will find.  On Friday I spotted a beautiful carving set, from Joseph Rodgers.  I collect bone handled cutlery, a collection that began with the canteen of cutlery that used to belong to my parents.  Over the years I have added a second canteen, as well as butter knives, serving pieces etc.  We used them on high days and holidays and I get such pleasure from them.


Anyway, for the princely sum of £7.95 I have a fabulous quality set, that will give us a lifetime of good service, I'm sure.  Although I don't eat meat, the rest of my family do, so this weekend I bought a joint of beef and DH tried it out yesterday.  His verdict was it cut like butter!  

I am trying to date the set, but it's proving a little difficult.  It is stamped 'Cutlers to His Majesty' and 'GR'.  Joseph Rodgers were appointed to both George IV and George V, and I suspect this set is more likely George V.  

I'm currently pottering in my sewing room, making another block for my son's quilt.  


I shall potter into the kitchen next and make a start on dinner :)

Donna x 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!