Blog Archive

Pre-Christmas Gallivanting

Hello,

In the midst of doing Christmassy things, I've had a couple of lovely trips away!  I'm fortunate that my grown up son still likes going away with me, and we recently took ourselves to London for a concert at the Royal Albert Hall and to visit my darling daughter and her partner, as well as my sister and her family. 

The concert was fabulous - 'Classical Spectacular'- we go once or twice a year.  The whole evening is just a wonderful experience, from pre-concert drinks in the bar, to the thrill of the first notes played by the orchestra. Obviously I didn't take photos during the performance, so here is one I took as the place was filling up.


We had a lovely long weekend, wandering around London, fun meals with family, and we also went to the National Gallery and revisited some of our favourite paintings...








We are so lucky to have these works of art just there for us to enjoy, and there's no entrance charge either (donations are very welcome).

London was bedecked in her Christmas finery, and our habitual stop to Fortnum and Mason did not disappoint.


Afterwards my husband and I took our annual pre-Christmas mini break too.  This time we went to the Peak District, to one of our favourite and most restful holiday holidays tucked away in the hills.  It was bliss!

Every year Chatsworth House is decorated for Christmas, with hundreds of thousands of glittering decorations.  We had seen images of it, but were not prepared for just how spectacular it really would be.  Walking into each room was just overwhelming - I have never seen anything like it.  We took lots of photos, but they really don't show the full beauty.  Here are a few though, just to give you an idea.










As dogs aren't allowed in to Chatsworth House, Daisy had to go to Doggy Daycare.  I don't think she had too bad a day though as she was put into a lovely warm area with another small dog, and apparently they played well together.  We made it up to her the rest of the holiday though and she had lots of running around time.   We spent quite a lot of time at one of our favourite Peak District places - Ilam Park.  The views are spectacular, and Daisy could run her little feet off!




There's something about a pre-Christmas holiday (or two!) that feels a little bit deliciously decadent, and I really look forward to it.  The air is crisp and there are no jobs to be done, just walking, talking, leisurely meals, and taking in the bustling atmosphere of different places getting ready for the festivities.  Just wonderful.

Donna x 

2 comments:

  1. Oh!!! Arnolfini marriage is one of the favourite picture of my husband. You're so lucky to have this wonderful art near! I've nener been inside Royal Albert Hall it looks so beautiful! Thanks to share photos. About Chatsworth house I can't find words to say how spectacular and majestic is. I love the way UK keeps traditions and preserves culture. I've read Chartworth house is the house that appears in "pride & prejudice"film, I like Jane Austen novels. Well thanks again to share photos and to show traditional places in England. I really enjoy seeing them. I wish you a Marry Christmas🎄🕯🎅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you liked my little collection of photos. Yes, we are very lucky to have such beautiful works of art and magnificent houses to visit. I like Jane Austen too! I wish you and yours a very happy Christmas!

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!