Blog Archive

Socks!

Well.  Who would have thought it?  I, who thought I was such a rubbish knitter, preferring to stay in my comfort zone of dressmaking and crochet, have knitted a pair of socks!  I am so delighted with them!  

It all started at Cooper's Creative on a Tuesday afternoon.  I had admired the other ladies who knitted socks, but dismissed the idea for myself, as I am really not a knitter.  On this particular Tuesday afternoon, POH had come with me for lunch, and was going for a look around the shops whilst I stayed at the café to crochet and chat.  Lucy, from Attic24, was knitting a pair of socks and POH was intrigued. I insisted I could never do this, but Lucy was adamant that if I followed Christine's Winwick Mum's Sockalong pattern I really could!  So, before we headed home that day, we called into Purl and Jane and POH selected some West Yorkshire Spinners sock yarn, and Jane knew just the needles I needed to buy, and off we went!

I started quickly, and things were going well...



(I love my iPad row counter!)

As the sock grew longer, and I reached the heel, I realised I must have made an error in my calculations, as the sock was HUGE!   I sought some advice from Lucy, Christine and Jane, and pulled the whole sock back.  I strangely wasn't at all downhearted as I felt I had already learnt so much.


Knitting it a second time was certainly easier and it came together quite quickly, despite having a break when I was feeling poorly.  

I was fortunate enough to see Christine at Cooper's whilst I was knitting it and she gave me some excellent pointers on bits I felt weren't as neat.  

The second sock then flew off the needles and I made it in five days flat!  All it needed then was for POH to try them on...  Ta Daa!!


The photo was taken at night, by table lamp, so the colours aren't as good as they are in real life.  POH loves them!  He suffers with cold feet and he says these are the warmest socks ever.  To say I am very pleased is understatement of the week!

DD, home at the time, had sock envy, and asked me if I could knit her a pair!  Of course I said yes, and the wool this time is from Regia.  This colourway is apparently called 'Ocean'.  




It is knitting up beautifully, and is firm and smooth to work with.


I can't believe how much fun knitting socks is!  It is rhythmic, with each separate part having its own separate rhythm.  I found turning the heel not nearly as daunting as I thought it would be, thanks to Christine's fabulous step by step tutorials.  Likewise the heel flap.  

The bit I struggled with the most was the Kitchener Stitch for the toes.  I don't think I will ever be able to do this without following Christine's instructions for each step!  

I think I am a little bit addicted to sock knitting, and I cannot believe the amount of beautiful sock yarns available! I was back at Purl and Jane's last week, looking at DK socks, as POH has put in a request for wellie socks.  Oh, and DS has asked for ski socks!  He has size UK 13 feet, and finds it difficult to find good ski socks to fit him.  I have a sock queue!!

A new creative addiction hobby is born, and I am very happy indeed.

I would love to hear your sock knitting stories and how you got hooked!  Please do leave a comment below.

Bye for now.  Need to turn a heel...

Donna x 

4 comments:

  1. Love your sock-story! After reading about Lucy’s socks I wanted to try it myself, so I also followed the pattern by Christine. I am still working on sock #1 and I find it quite a challenge. That is probably why it’s still not finished after nearly a year ... But I have found my sock mojo again, so I hope to finish it soon! And then start with the other one. Poor DH is a very patient one (I am making the socks for him). But you are right, sock yarns are very pretty indeed! I have a few skeins waiting in my stash...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creative Mummy Bear25 March 2018 at 12:27

      Thank you, Femke! Yes, the first sock was a real feat of concentration, but for the second sock I felt more relaxed and confident in what I was doing. I'm glad you have your sock mojo back again, and I would love to hear that you've finished your sock, and made the second one! I'm sure your DH will love them. I have to wrestle POH's from him in order to wash them ;)

      Delete
  2. Those socks are fabulous! You are never allowed to think of yourself as a "rubbish knitter" again as now you can knit socks, you can do anything. The only problem for you will be finding time to knit a pair for yourself! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HaHa! Thank you! I never thought I would enjoy knitting, but everything anyone says about sock knitting is just so true; from their portability to the fabulous array of yarns available. My new hobby is all thanks to your wonderfully easy to follow pattern, so thank you for that. I now have a long list of requests from my lovely family, but there will definitely be a pair for me before too long! xx

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!