Blog Archive

The Big Freeze

Hello!  Well, safe to say it's been pretty cold here in the UK!  More snow too than I can remember for a long time.  

I lived in Canada and the USA for a few years and experienced extreme cold and bucket loads of snow, but here in the UK we are just not used to it, and understandably not geared up for this amount of the white stuff, as it would be a bit of a waste to have garages full of snow ploughs that were used once or twice every few years.  Tales of people helping one another, and going all out to keep hospitals, and the emergency services running, have been very heartwarming.  Human nature at its best.

On a lesser note, I am pleased that I made a couple of cold weather items over the past couple of weeks, as they have certainly been put to good use!

The first was a warm and snuggly wrap that I started about three weeks ago, when I was feeling poorly and couldn't focus on my socks.  The pattern is 'Fronds' from The Crochet Project, and once the pattern is established, is a simple two row repeat.  I used the incredibly soft,Rowan 'Lima' (now discontinued) and it is so soft and warm!  I've lived in it for days now.







I do love the way the clever edging really does look like the fronds of ferns, unfurling in the spring sunshine, (Spring sunshine... Ha!)

I also made up Tilly and the Buttons pattern, 'Coco', which I bought a little while ago.  This was such a quick and speedy make, and I had it cut out and sewn in an afternoon.  I made it in a sweatshirt fleece and it is probably one of the most comfortable items of clothing I have ever made. I followed Tilly's tips for making it in sweatshirt fleece, which was mainly adding extra fabric to parts which are 'turned' i.e. hem, sleeves and the funnel collar.  

After I wore it the first day I decided I wasn't sure about how baggy the back was on me, so POH pinned in a couple of darts which ran each side, from under the shoulder blades to just below the waist.  That improved the fit on me no end, and I will now mark those darts on the pattern ready for the next dress.  Oh yes, there will definitely be another Coco dress and I also plan to make some Coco tops!




I've got a bit of a thing for Tilly and the Buttons patterns at the moment.  I love the clean lines, modern shapes, and, above all, the fact they are such 'blank canvases' and can be adapted and tweaked in so many ways.


The cold and snowy weather seems to make comfort food so much more desirable too, and I particularly love baking bread.  I whipped up a batch of garlic, rosemary and cheese rolls.  



Mmmmmm... they were scrummy!  I made quite a few, so popped some in the freezer for quick lunches.

It turns out our little dog, Daisy, absolutely LOVES the snow and has been eagerly running around the garden, burying her face in it!  When she's out walking on the fields she runs towards the deepest drifts and leaps right in!  Bonkers. 



After all this excitement there's nothing else to do except snuggle in her basket in front of the wood stove and have a little snooze.



Wherever you are, I hope you are keeping warm, and you and your loved ones are safe.

Take good care,

Donna x 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!