Blog Archive

A Weekend With My Daughter

Last Friday afternoon I took the little train from our village station, trundling merrily along the tracks, changing trains and eventually reaching Manchester, from where there is a fast service directly into London Euston.

My daughter and her partner live in Canary Wharf, and from Euston it is a short ride on the Central Line, then the Docklands Light Railway (DLR), which I can remember being built!  It was so lovely to see DD and her Lovely Partner (LP) and we had lots of hugs and excited chatter.

On Saturday we had a leisurely breakfast and then headed out to do some shopping.  LP made us a delicious late lunch and by the time we had finished eating it was already getting quite gloomy so we decided to stay home and watch a film.  

Ah, Bliss.  This is the stuff of memories.


On Sunday LP made a stack of Japanese Hot Cakes for our breakfast, which are a bit like extra thick and fluffy American Pancakes.  I was just about to take a photo when the whole heap collapsed, so I captured an action shot!



We then went to the Wallace Collection, one of my favourite London Museums.  We had a good wander around...



...and then a restorative pot of tea.


I love London, my home town, and find something interesting on virtually every street.  Here, just around the corner from the Wallace Collection, I stopped to admire the red brick of these buildings and the graceful chimney stacks.


We then went for an extended late lunch.  Full to the brim, we wandered along Regent Street and Piccadilly, admiring the Christmas lights.



My daughter is a member of the Oxford and Cambridge Club in St. James, so we called in for a warm by the fire and some mocktails!

It was then time to head back to Canary Wharf, which is so beautiful at night.


DD and LP had work on Monday so I took myself for a very happy wander around Peter Jones in Sloane Square and the shops on the King's Road, Chelsea.  I decided to stop by Westminster to see if anything was happening (it's a very intense time politically in the UK!) but there wasn't that much to see, other than a few journalists preparing to do interviews outside the Houses of Parliament.  


I was pleased to visit Emmeline Pankhurst's memorial, as I had read the plans to move it away from the Houses of Parliament had been abandoned, due to widespread anger.  It was good to see her in her rightful place.



All too soon it was time to catch my train back home.  I sat on the train, reading the newspaper, doing some knitting, thinking what a wonderful weekend it had been.

Donna x 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking us along on your trip to London. It's been ages since my last visit. Really nice to stroll along some streets with you. The angelic Christmas lights are amazing!
    It's lovely having a grown-up daughter, isn't it? A pity she lives so far away. But then again, it is a good reason to spend some time in London now and again, and you get to stay longer.
    The colourful hand-knit socks look utterly cosy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment, thank you x I absolutely love having a grown up daughter and best friend. I treasure our time together, especially the moments snuggled together on the sofa :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful time xxx I love the photo of the red brick buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had a wonderful time! I love the grandeur of the architecture in London x

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!