Blog Archive

Friday


Hello and happy Friday!

I'm having a lovely Friday.  It started with an early breakfast and a drive over to Cooper's Creative, Skipton, to meet my lovely Creative Friends for a couple of hours of conversation, laughter, tea and crumpets.  I so look forward to my time there, and find it a place of comfort, happiness and a warm fuzzy feeling of being amongst good friends who 'get' what you do.  Cooper's has become an even bigger part of  my life since I took early retirement this summer, as it gives a certain structure to the week and a huge sense of belonging.  I do love it so much.



I sipped my tea and nibbled my buttered crumpets and carried on making lanterns for my 'Vintage' Mystical Lanterns Blanket.  I am so enjoying making these and have become a little addicted to them, putting aside other projects I have on the go.  

When I got home I had a count up of the lanterns I have finished, giving each one a blast of steam from the iron (hovering over, not touching the crochet) and easing each one into shape.  I have a total of 90 completely finished, plus 10 that  need their ends sewn in (oops, Lucy, must rectify that this evening and catch up!) plus 26 lanterns completed up to round 2 (I'm working them in batches as I find it quicker somehow).  I'm planning to make my blanket a little wider than the pattern so I think I will need 169 full lanterns, plus the halves to square off the pattern.  Anyway, I'm well on the way, so I'm really pleased!



Whilst I had the ironing board out I ironed a few shirts and handkerchiefs and also gave my sleeveless cardigan pieces I had finished (and neglected this week due to lantern making!) a light steaming to relax the stitches ready for sewing up.  I'll block it properly once it's completed and the edging done and show you the finished article.


It's now late afternoon and already the curtains are drawn and the lights are on. The nights are drawing in quickly now. I need to go and do a few chores, but I don't have to cook tonight as Friday night is takeaway curry night! Yum!!

Have a great weekend!

Donna x


8 comments:

  1. Love the motifs :) I've got the pattern too and really looking forward to having a go. First I've got to finish the biggest socks I've ever knitted, for my 14 year old son - I didn't know feet could grow that big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Good luck with your son's socks! My son has UK size 13 feet, but I haven't made him any socks yet ;) I can highly recommend the Mystical Lanterns pattern; it's really enjoyable (and addictive!) to make. Have a great weekend, Larissa.

      Delete
    2. Crikey! How much wool would that take! :) My lad is only a size 9 at the moment - so he can now wear his dad's shoes! I'm so tempted to have a go at the lanterns but I know once I start I won't want to stop and I'm trying to be good and do some Christmas things next ... I will just keep enjoying your lanterns for now! You have a lovely weekend too x

      Delete
    3. Haha! Quite a lot of wool I should think! The lanterns are VERY addictive and I just can’t stop making ‘just one more’, when I too should be turning my attention to Christmas things! x

      Delete
  2. Lovely to have such a group of friends, isn't it? I am also in a knitting group. We only meet every other month, but I enjoy our yarn-filled evenings tremendously.
    You have quite a stack of lanterns already! How are you going to join them? A single colour around all lanterns? Or different ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I look forward to yarny get togethers so much and meeting with such a lovely group of friends.

      As I have such an eclectic mix of colours in my lanterns, (sticking to Lucy’s happy view that I’m creating a Vintage Blanket!) I am going to do round four of all of them in cream, and use the same cream for joining. I think that will bring a sense of unity and harmony to the blanket. I did buy theee 50g balls of cream wool from the Oxfam shop but I don’t think that will be enough, taking into account all the ends too. I shall save that for something else and buy six 50g balls of Drops Karisma, as I have some different colours of that in the blanket, kindly donated by Lucy, and it is so soft and snuggly, I also made my Emily Rabbit from Karisma, and she is so soft and cuddly! I am enjoying the Mystical Lanterns project so much :) x

      Delete
  3. Cream sounds like a great idea! I knit a cardi in Karisma years ago. Warm and Woolly.

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!