Blog Archive

Knee High Socks - NAILED IT!

Helloooo!  I'm so glad you have stopped by as I am super excited to be able to tell you I have nailed my knee high sock adaptation! 

Readers of my blog will know I have been experimenting for a while, but have now pulled everything I've learned together and have come with a pattern 'recipe' that works, for me at least.  All credit for the original pattern goes to Christine, Winwick Mum.  Without her excellent pattern, and the encouragement of my friend, Lucy, Attic24, I would never, ever, in a zillion years, have been able to master sock knitting.  Thank you so much ladies (for my new addiction...)

So, to recap, after knitting socks for my husband and daughter, I made my first knee high pair here, and finding they were a little too baggy on my ankles and feet, made my second pair here.  These came up too snug around the top of my leg (and were also too short, but I think that was down to a different yarn.  More about that later.)

Both pairs also had a tendency to slip down whilst walking, so I wanted to experiment with 'knitting in elastic'


I had already started pair number three, but frogged it when I realised pair number two were too snug around the top.  No matter, better to start again and get it right (hopefully!)

I finished the first of the new ones on Tuesday and wore it all day yesterday to test the holding up properties of the knitting in elastic.  This meant a day of wearing odd socks!  Most of the day I was home but I took Daisy Dog for a walk and got talking to a nice couple with a little dog.  I wondered if I should explain my odd socks to them, but thought it was waayyy too complicated, so I said nothing (I'm probably considered the village eccentric now...)

I am pleased to say the sock stayed up really well.  There was some minor slippage after about an hour, but nothing I can't live with.  I am going to stick with this for the ribbing of all my socks now, as it really helps the recovery of the ribbing and it almost invisible.

So, here it is!!




It's not quite as long as pair number one, but the odd thing is there are 170 leg rounds in this sock, as opposed to 140 in pair number one!  I spoke to Christine (Winwick Mum) about this a little while ago and she suggested that the different sock yarns knit up quite differently, and she is absolutely right.  Look at the difference below, with the shortest sock 30 rounds more in the leg!

From this I have definitely learnt to follow Christine's advice in her 'Sockalong' and try the sock on as I go!  I have also discovered that for my own legs I need a total length of 11 inches, or 28 cm, (unblocked measurement) from the casting on of the rib to the top of the heel flap.  This measurement is far more accurate than any amount of round counting I can do, now I have learned the variance in sock yarns.


So, without further ado, here is the finished recipe I used!

Original pattern:  Adapted from Winwick Mum's fantastic Sockalong pattern.

Yarn:  King Cole Zig Zag .  Each sock is approximately 60g, which means I now need two balls of sock yarn, but I knit one sock from each ball and there is enough left on each ball to knit a sock for my husband or daughter, so I can still get two pairs of socks from two balls of yarn. 

Cast on: 68 stitches

Rib: 40 rounds, holding the knitting in elastic alongside the yarn, and knitting them both together.  Drop the elastic at the end of the rib and then weave in the end of the elastic and continue with just the yarn.

Decreasing:  Decrease one stitch each side of leg on rounds 50, 60, 70, 80, 100 (including the rib) ending up with 56 stitches (or the number needed to fit your measurement).

Leg rounds: I ended up knitting a total of 170 rounds, including the rib, but as I said above this varies wildly depending on the yarn you are using so try on as you go.  For me this means about 11 inches (28 cm) of leg, measuring to the top of the heel flap.

Heel flap:  35 rows

Foot:  56 rounds (I have UK size 7.5 feet) but again, do follow Christine's Sockalong advice and try on as you go.  There is absolutely no substitute for trying on!

Toe:  As per Christine's instructions, ending up with 28 stitches.

I cast on the second of the pair today, so hopefully I can wear a matching pair before too long!


I am thrilled to have got this cracked as I do personally prefer knee high socks and these are just so warm and cosy, and a perfect fit ;)

Who'd have thought I could actually knit socks??   I still can't quite believe it!!  Follow Winwick Mum's  pattern and you can't go far wrong.

Donna x 

5 comments:

  1. Those look really nice and cozy! Do your wear them hidden under trousers/jeans? Or would you wear them visibly with a dress or skirt?
    I knit lots and lots of socks - they are my go-to mindless project - but have never knit any knee-highs so far. Might give them a try now that I have seen yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marijke, I do usually wear socks with trousers, and tights with a dress or skirt, but have been known to come home on a chilly afternoon when I’ve got a dress on and pull on my socks ;) What sorts of sock patterns do you knit? x

      Delete
  2. I usually knit socks the way my mum taught me: very simple, basic socks. I found out recently that the heel I use is actually called a 'Dutch heel' (I live in the Netherlands). As the pattern is so simple, I like knitting with colourful, self-striping yarns, like the ones in your photo. Sometimes I add cables or a pattern with different coloured yarns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely that you were taught by your Mum to knit socks. My Mum was a prolific knitter, but never socks. I want to have a go at cable socks too, following Christine's - Winwick Mum - pattern. They look so cosy! x

      Delete
  3. Such a Fantastic But is it feel for all-day comfort? I mean is it feels comfortable for whole day.

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!