Blog Archive

Happy to be Sewing Again!

Hello friends,

I am happy to report that things in the life of Creative Mummy Bear and her loved ones are looking much brighter and breezier, and getting back to a more even keel. 

One measure of this happy development is the resumption of my sewing.  When my mind or heart are troubled I find sewing very trying and don't enjoy it at all, so I put it aside and gently shut the door of my sewing room.  Joyously I have now thrown open the door, plugged all the machines in, dusted off the desks and away I go!

I started by making two dresses for my daughter, for her birthday.  These are both tried and tested patterns that I know she likes and wears all the time.  The first is in cotton lawn, and is Simplicity 1873, designed by Cynthia Rowley.


 I have written about this pattern before, as I have made about a dozen of them to date!  It's DD's absolute favourite pattern that she finds cool and comfortable for work, or can dress up for social events.

I haven't ever shown you the back, which I think is equally pretty, with pleats that go all the way around, and a neat, concealed zip.


I really like the unusual print, which is a sort of stripe in a way, but close up reminds me of lines of Edwardian ruffles.


The second is a washable wool blend pinafore dress - McCalls M7188  - again, one I have made for her before.  DD is tall in the body, so I have added an inch to the bodice length.  This makes it look overly long on Valerie, the mannequin, but perfect on DD.


I am pleased with this fabric too, as it looks very businesslike, with its small check.


I then decided to make something for ME!  I chose a new pattern and some cotton lawn from my fabric cupboard.  As you can see, the pattern is New Look, 6224, and one I actually hadn't made before! 


I settled on View D, but added nearly 3 inches to the length, and swapped the long sleeves for the shorter ones, retaining the narrow binding to match the neck.


I'm really pleased with how it turned out and it is such a comfortable dress.  It was quick and easy to sew too!  The skirt is a full circle, cut in two pieces, with a side zip.  As this is such a directional print, with hindsight I would have adjusted the layout of the skirt pieces so at least the flowers appeared upright in the middle.  However, hindsight is a wonderful thing and I shall still enjoy wearing my dress, with its unique 'design feature'.

I like this pattern so much I have started another one!  Some more lawn from my fabric cupboard. (I am enjoying 'shopping my stash'!) The print is so busy I was concerned it would look like I was wearing a pair of curtains, so I decided to make it sleeveless.  I cut some bias binding from the scraps left after cutting out and will bind the armholes.  I will let you know how it turns out!


I can't tell you how good it feels to be back in my sewing room again. Small pleasures are often the sweetest.

Donna x 

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you back at your sewing machine. I'm always amazed at how productive you are. Love the fabrics you chose, especially the woollen check for the pinafore dress. And the green binding on your own dress picks out the colour in the fabric so well. Do you think just a bias binding will be enough for the armholes of your next dress? Won't it need a facing? (I'm thinking of making a sleeveless dress too, and am not sure how to adapt a short-sleeved dress pattern.) Looking forward to your post about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marijke,

      Thank you for you nice comments about the dresses. I'm pleased to say my daughter was delighted with them :)

      I have finished the sleeveless version and I'm just writing a little post about it now. It's fine just to use binding on armholes - you don't need a facing as well. I will definitely do this again with this pattern as it really suits it, and I do like sleeveless dresses!

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!