Blog Archive

Autumn

Hello Friends,

I love the autumn, I always have.  It's hard to pinpoint why exactly but maybe it's something to do with the golden light we get this time of year.  Or the colour of the leaves.  Or maybe the cosiness of the woodstove alight on a chilly, dark evening.  Perhaps it's kicking through leaves and picking up conkers?  Maybe it's cooking warming, comforting food again?  Perhaps it's my birthday celebrations that fall in 'fall'?  Whatever it is, autumn is a season I simply love!

I've been out and about, walking and admiring the colours.  Daisy too has developed a love of skipping through the leaves, so she is a good companion on my walks.


Before we in England were restricted to meeting with only one other person outside, I had a lovely, long, birthday walk with two dear friends, M and J.  We walked for about 5 miles and were planning to end with a picnic.  I had packed a healthy lunch and was bemoaning the fact I had not packed any sweet treat, as I felt I had earned it. However, when we sat, J produced from her rucksack a cake, complete with candles and napkins, and M the accompaniments!  The candles were lit, 'Happy Birthday' was sung, and the candles were waved out (blowing out of candles is also not allowed!) It was such a lovely thing they did and I will always remember my 2020 birthday.  (Note in the photo the sign of the times in the hand sanitiser, wipes and picnic table covering!)


My darling daughter and her fiancé were due to spend my birthday with me, but sadly the restrictions prevented that.  My thoughtful husband and son had taken me to Bettys for a birthday lunch beforehand though, so that was a lovely celebration.  We also brought home a little box of treats for tea :)


Autumn is when I turn to one of my favourite desserts - baked  apples.  Yummy!  These are so easy to make and apples are at their best now.  It's such a simple dessert but so delicious and happy to sit and wait for a while if your main course overruns!  Here's how to make them:


Ingredients:

Large cooking apples - 1 per person.  Bramley apples are by far the best, if you can get hold of those.

Brown sugar

Sultanas or raisins

Butter

Method:

Firstly, core the apples with an apple corer, and using a sharp knife, cut carefully through the skin around the 'equator' of the apple, being careful not to cut through to the the hollow core area.  This is essential to stop the apple bursting all over the oven!

Place the apple(s) in an ovenproof dish.  Press some sultanas or raisins into the cored centre of the apples and then some brown sugar to your taste.  It doesn't matter a jot if you miss with some of it, as we will be adding some more to the dish in a minute.  Add a few more sultanas or raisins, and then a little bit more sugar.  Top off with a knob of butter, pressing it down well to cover the core hole.

Sprinkle a bit more brown sugar in the baking dish and then pour enough water from the kettle over the apples until the water is roughly1cm or 1/2 inch deep.

The apples are quite flexible in how long they take to bake, but to give you an idea I baked these ones on the lowest shelf at 180 degrees Celsius for about 45 minutes.  They are great to put in the oven when you've got something else in, but if the oven is at a hotter temperature they will obviously cook more quickly.  The main thing is to use a lower shelf and keep an eye on them so they don't overbrown or the water dries up.  Add a tiny bit more water if it looks like it might.

Serve with the syrup from the dish poured over, either on their own or with custard or ice cream.  Delicious!

The sun is setting and I need to do a few things before it gets dark, but I haven't even started to show you my autumn projects yet! I'll save those for next time! 

Take good care,

Donna x

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to spend your birthday with friends. Belated happy Birthday wishes from me too x
    Mmm the baked apples look yummy and I am feeling the need to bake some myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your birthday wishes! Baked apples are just the best so I hope you have managed to enjoy some too. All good wishes to you too.

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!