Blog Archive

A Wave Hello

 Dear Friends,

It has been so long since I have sat and written to you all that I hardly know where to begin.  In fact, so much time elapsed I felt almost embarrassed to come back, but a conversation with a lovely friend yesterday inspired me to open up my laptop and just take the plunge.

Like most people I have found this whole pandemic really hard going now and this latest UK lockdown particularly tough.  It's hard to see the wood for the trees, as the saying goes, and the feelings of isolation and missing those I love has gnawed at my heart.

Added to that, my cheerful and sweet Mum-in-law fell ill just before Christmas and sadly died.  A small, Covid funeral was held just after Christmas.  Then, my dearest school friend's beautiful Mum became ill and sadly lost her life too.  She had been an important person in my life for over 50 years. Their loss is huge to their families and friends, but their legacy and love will live on.


As lockdown stretched on into the hard to see future, I did what I don't normally do, and that is to retreat.  I felt I had nothing cheerful to write and everything would seem trite in comparison.  This past week or so I have started to feel the spark of optimism, seeing some bright pansies bravely flowering in  the snow, and bulbs a-plenty poking their green shoots through the soil in the garden.  

So here I am!  Back in my sewing room, which I've just been tidying up.  We cleared out the loft about three weeks ago (Oh. My. Goodness.) and lots of things were deposited in here, so I've had a jolly good tidy up! We've also been going through cupboards, having a good sort out.  That's been really useful, as we discovered things we had almost forgotten about and moved things into more convenient places so they can be used more easily, like my best tea service!  That's been a very happy result.

I haven't sewn nearly as much as I normally do but I did make lots of embroidered felt Christmas decorations for family and friends.  Silly me forgot to photograph most of them, but these are a couple I did remember!


This was for my friends' new puppy!


I also made a small quilted wallhanging for our new porch, which was finally finished last week.  This isn't a great photo so I'll take a better one once it is in situ.  The pattern is by Anita Gooodesign.


Mainly I've been knitting, continuing with my challenge of learning new techniques and developing my love of vintage patterns.  I've almost finished this cardigan, which I showed you last time, but have run out of yarn, so have some on order from the lovely people at Wool Warehouse. 


I've also made the back and both fronts of this cardigan:

It's certainly the most complicated pattern I've ever knitted and I must have pulled back the first front twenty times!  I've finally got the hang of it though.  I'm doing the two sleeves at the same time so that if I go a little bit wrong with the shaping, at least both sleeves are the same!  It's knitted on large needles, giving a lacy effect (apparently this was to save wool).  I'm making it in a soft grey.  I really love vintage patterns, but as the wools are no longer available making sure I am very strict with myself about doing a tension swatch!

To you all, I send my very best wishes, and I will be back very soon.  This I promise. 

Donna xx






3 comments:

  1. Dear Donna, I am so sorry for your losses. They make a time that is already difficult, much, much more difficult. I completely understand your need to retreat, no need to feel bad about that. At the same time, I'm glad you're back. I always enjoy looking at your pictures and projects. The sweet little wall hanging reminds me of Debbie Mumm. Do you know her? I know it's not her design, but a similar style. I have good memories of projects with her fabrics. The vintage cardis are lovely, and you're very wise to swatch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marijke, Thank you so much for your kind words. I've missed you! I haven't heard of Debbie Mumm, but I am going to go and have a look at her work. I am being ever so good at swatching with my vintage patterns, and it is made easier by the fact they use a little one inch swatch. I wonder when it went from that (easily made in a few minutes) to the much bigger swatches on modern patterns, that take an evening or more? Hope you and your loved ones are keeping well. All good wishes to you.

      Delete
  2. Waving to you from My Small Corner. It is good to see you back again.
    I do admire your stitchery both on the wall hanging and the decorations,they are lovely. Good luck with finishing your vintage sleeves, I shall look forward to seeing the cardi when you are finished. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!