Blog Archive

A Lovely Day

 Well, hello!

Do you ever have one of those days when you think it's all just so perfect, and everything you do makes you want to smile all the time, and even have a little skip as you walk?  Well, for me, yesterday was one of those days!

Husband and I went to Harrogate, which in normal times we do quite regularly.  However, we hadn't been at all this year due to closures and restrictions, so I felt a little thrill of excited anticipation just on the drive there.  

Once we had parked we wandered up the hill to Betty's, for our lunch.  


We were given a perfect table, in a corner but outward facing, so we could see everything that was going on.  

We decided to both have afternoon tea - one normal and one vegetarian.  The sandwiches were lovely, fresh and summery, the scones tasty, the jam fruity and the clotted cream thick and gorgeous.  The little cakes were a delight - especially the miniature Battenberg and the rich, dark chocolate cube, which was divine.  We had lashings of tea too.


Afterwards we looked at everything in the window...


...and I bought small a bag of deliciousness to take home, using a voucher my step-son and daughter-in-law had kindly given me for my birthday.


We then went to look at the wonderful selection of shops, and just stroll around the town.  The sun was shining, people were happy and smiling, and there was a lovely relaxed atmosphere, with everyone clearly enjoying being out and enjoying themselves.

I made a few small purchases of mini pudding dishes, hair products, and some patterned paper for my new (revisited) hobby of cardmaking (more about that in a later post!)

Then I spotted this book - 'Knitting Magic' - the official book of Harry Potter knitting patterns!  I discovered the book at our village library a few weeks ago and borrowed it to make my daughter a Hogwart's cardigan, but I've had to renew the book twice, (as I try to knit as fast as I can), and felt I really should return it!  There are other items in it I would like to make so I was so excited to find it for the bargain price of £10! Perfect!  I will return the library copy tomorrow!


Before setting off for home we returned to Betty's for some ice cold, homemade lemonade.  We hadn't to rush home, so we lingered, chatted and then had a final walk before returning to the car.  The pavement cafes were filling up with people enjoying the evening sun, and meeting friends and loved ones for meals and drinks, and it all felt so hopeful, so positive, it was such a joy to see.

It really was a perfect day and one which I shall remember for a very long time to come.

Donna xx

4 comments:

  1. Hi Donna. It's so good to see you back! And so enjoyable to read about those extraordinary ordinary things you're doing, like reuniting with family and friends. The tea at Betty's and the blue, blue skies in your last post are wonderful. I had seen the Harry Potter knitting book, but hadn't really looked at it properly. Took a look at the patterns on Ravelry now. The cardi you're making looks lovely. And, wow, those Expecto Patronum mittens are amazing. I like Hermione's Time Turner Sweater a lot too. Thank you for your uplifting posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marijke, Thank you so much for your kind words. It's so good to be back. I love your expression "extraordinary ordinary things" and I'm going to use that, if I may! The Harry Potter book is fabulous. My daughter has her eye on the Golden Snitch socks next, and I saw her looking at the Expecto Patronum mittens, but I think they are a bit beyond my knitting capabilities! I quite fancy the Time Turner sweater myself!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back Donna, good to revisit your blog.
    I have the Potter book too, at least my grown up daughter has it with the hopes of me doing something with it!!
    Glad you had a perfect day. We are all in need of those now and again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind welcome back - it's good to be here again. The Harry Potter book is great, so I am glad we have our own copy now, as I felt I was hogging the library copy!

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!