Blog Archive

Current Projects - Part 1

Hello there!

Last time I promised you a run down of my current projects.  As I have quite a few on the go, I thought I would break them down into sections, otherwise I fear you may nod off halfway through!

I have a couple of reasons as to why I have so many things on the go, the first being I am a process person, and decide each day anew which project I feel like working on, so I never feel I 'have' to work on something if I don't feel like it!  That might make me a little fickle, but everything gets finished in the end, and I very much enjoy the process of making them.

The other reason is more practical.  I have some problems with my left thumb, which causes me pain from time to time.  I find switching around between projects helps to alleviate the strain.  Even switching between different size knitting needles helps!

So, to start, here are my current knitting projects:

I mentioned previously the fabulous book - 'Knitting Magic - The Official Harry Potter Knitting Book'.  I am making the Hogwarts House Cardigan, in the colourway of Gryffindor, for my daughter.


The pattern calls for an Aran yarn, and I have substituted that with Drops Air, which is a fabulously soft and warm yarn.  I have knitted all the pieces and now I'm doing the making up.


For myself, I am making a short sleeved cardigan from a Simply Knitting magazine my good friend passed on to me.  I am using the yarn specified, which is King Cole Cottonsoft, but I picked this bright fuchsia!


The yarn is really soft and squishy, and it should be a nice cool cardigan for the summer months.

Finally, for the knitting projects - socks!  I always have a pair of socks on the go.  These are a second pair of winter walking socks for me, using West Yorkshire Spinners DK sock yarn.  I make my socks using the patterns by Christine 'Winwick Mum' as a starting point, and then making them knee length with some shaping at the top.  I find with the DK sock yarn 3 x 100 balls makes a pair each for my husband and myself, as long as I use a contrast for the top of mine.  This also helps me tell them apart in the laundry, as my feet are quite large and it's not always easy to tell them apart! 


So there we have it.  Three knitting projects, on three different sized needles! Next time I will show you the crochet projects! ;)

Donna xx

2 comments:

  1. That is going to be a really cosy cardi for your daughter. (I wonder if anyone will choose the Slytherin colours.) I like the fuchsia cardigan with its romantic stitch patterns a lot, too. Very elegant shape, sleeve length and neckline. It's lovely to see your projects and I'm looking forward to your next post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marijke. I have now finished the Gryffindor cardigan! I have never heard of anyone being Slytherin, have you? My daughter declared me Hufflepuff! It's all a bit of a mystery to me, but she said this was a compliment :)

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!