Blog Archive

Spring Projects

Hello!

I was looking through photos on my phone yesterday, and realised I haven't shown you these finished projects!  

Regular readers will know I always have several things on the go, as I like to flit between knitting, crochet, dressmaking and quilting.  I had a concerted effort to finish some knitting projects, mainly so I could actually wear the things!  Here are two of my new knitted garments:

You'll remember this cardigan, from a vintage pattern my sister sent me.  


It was a lovely pattern to knit, and being mostly stocking stitch was good for when I didn't want to have to concentrate too much!  The yarn is Drops Cotton Merino, and having worn it A LOT and washed it a few times, I can attest to the fact it is super comfortable - not itchy at all - and washes really well too!  The photo turned out to be a bit of an 'action shot' but never mind, you can get the idea!


This next one required a bit more concentration, on the front at least, but I enjoyed the pattern.  It is part of a twin set, and I have started the cardigan, but butterflied away to do other things... 


Quite a bit of maths ensued, as the pattern was written for 3ply and and the yarn I wanted to use was Rowan Wool Cotton 4ply (now discontinued).  The maths worked though and I am very pleased with the fit.


Good friends of our were blessed with their first granddaughter, and I knitted these little bootees, from Sirdar 100% cotton.  The pattern was from a magazine, torn out years ago, and I'm not sure which one!


Quilting has absorbed quite a lot of my time over the last year or more, and you may remember I had two King Size quilts on the go, one for our bed and one as a marriage quilt for my daughter and her fiancé.  Well, I now have three!  My son has a new, double bed, and so I am making him a double bed size quilt.  I haven't any photos of that yet, but I will take some next time I am working on it.

In the meantime, I needed a little 'placemat' to put Daisy Dog's food and water dishes on, to stop her pushing them around the kitchen floor!  I made this one from my scrap boxes, and the block patterns are from Anita Goodesign's Dogs and Cats.  It's just the job and I can confirm it survives the washing machine really well!


I didn't make myself many clothes last year, so I felt I needed a new dress for summer!  I looked in my fabric cupboard and found a length of Liberty cotton Tana Lawn, in a bright cerise colour.  A hunt through my patterns was next and I decided on this New Look pattern 6370.


I combined a couple of different views as I fancied a sleeveless, day length dress, and adjusted it to make it a bit longer.  This is the result and I wearing it as we speak, as I am shortly going to meet a good friend at a garden centre outdoor café.  


I love the way Tana Lawn presses into knife-sharp creases.  

As you can see, the fabric is quite translucent, so rest assured, dear friends and readers, I am wearing a waist slip. (The bodice is lined.)


The buckle is vintage, bought as part of a job lot a while ago.


So there we have it -  a few of my completed items.  What am I working on now?  Well, far, far too much, as ever, but I kind of like it that way!  I will show you my Works in Progress next time.

Donna xx

4 comments:

  1. Love reading your blog, thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just look at the waists of the models in the vintage patterns! They must be wearing corsets. I love the deep red of your raglan cardi and it goes so well with your skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Their waists were incredible! I think the 'roll on girdle' was a must-have item in those days. I remember the advertisements for them when I was a child. Must have been very hot in the summer!

      Delete

Please do leave a comment. I will answer every one!